The Game of Concentration



My very last lesson in the class, we played a rhythmic game called  the game of concentration!  It was a lot of fun, and the kids seemed to really enjoy it!

The game is pretty  simple: you stand in a  circle and to the beat you clap the hands of the people next to  you twice (@), then you clap your own hands twice(*). You pick a category that can really be  anything (names, animals, superheroes, Disney characters, etc.) and you take turns going around the circle, and if it was decided that the category would be names you take turns listing off different  names to the beat. You start the game  off  by saying a little  chant to get in  the rhythm:

"This is the game * *
of concentration * *
No repeats * *
or hesitation * *
I'll go first * *
You go second * *
The topic is * *
Names   ( ) * *"

And that's when you'd start taking turns listing off names, only speaking when you clap  the hands of  the people next to you.

The way I introduced this to the students  was by getting  the rhythm started. So  without  saying anything, we started the clapping pattern. Then, I spoke the opening chant while they kept  clapping. After  saying it  once, I asked them to tell me what the rules of the game were. I recited the chant one  more time, then  had them answer.  It didn't take any time  to start playing after that,  because they had figured out the rules of the game on their own!

We started off with the category  being names, and  we  did a  couple of practice rounds where if you repeated a name accidentally or  messed  up the rhythm accidentally, you wouldn't be "out". Once they got the hang of it though, it was game  on!

After a round or two of  using  names as  the topic, we switched to animals. Then, I asked them  if they could tell me what verbs were. We  did a quick class review  of verbs, then used  verbs as our topic. We did the same with adjectives and nouns. It was an effective way of almost tricking  them into practicing their english skills.

I do want to add that the students who got "out" went to the other side of the classroom to continue playing in their own circle lead by Mrs. Purdy. So even those who were "out" got to  continue  practicing keeping a steady rhythm, as well as thinking of different English  examples.

I love this game because it's fun for all ages. When my family waits in line at Disneyland or other places like that, this is a game that we still enjoy. Additionally, it can be used to review pretty  much every subject we learn in school. I used English examples, however I've played it before reviewing insects  when the unit in  science was all about insects, numbers between 1-100, countries/states to review geography, etc.

I highly recommend playing the game of concentration. It's tons of fun!


Comments

Popular Posts